For a small or medium sized business, an effective web presence can make a lot of difference to company’s reputation and lead inflows.
Therefore, it becomes very important to pick a CMS that manages the online presence with low cost, low resources and with high efficiency. With so many CMS options available, it can be daunting task to pick the CMS that is just right for you. In our latest series of posts we will do our best to guide businesses through the process of choosing a CMS.
We start with the top 5 signs that indicate that a CMS is not right for you.
- There is no trial available and you just have to go by a controlled demo: Although most of the CMS products are either free or offer a good free trial option. There are still a few products out there which won’t give you the complete access to CMS. So unless you have an in-house expert with experience on the platform, stay away from this
- You login for the first time and none of the options make any sense: This is a sign that the CMS has a very steep learning curve. The whole idea of the CMS is that you shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to set up a simple “contact us” kind of page. If you see some plain options like “Create a Page”, “Set up a Template”, “Content”, “Reports”, that will be a good sign
- It takes $500/day consultant or engineer to get it started: While there are a number of very sophisticated enterprise class systems where this will be require, a small/medium business will not need such a system most of the time.
- There is no app or service marketplace: In today’s fast changing environment, it is very important to keep your online presence up to date. This will frequently involve setting up new sharing mechanisms/channels from you site and pages. All such tasks become very easy if there is a marketplace for the CMS where small apps/utilities are available. Without a marketplace, your effort to get things done increases.
- The CMS framework is not responsive out of the box: “Responsive out of the box” means that when you build a simple page without much customization, your page is responsive. Having responsive pages are very important because studies show that web traffic and searches from tablets and mobile phones is on the rise
The Web Plant offers consulting service to help you pick the right CMS for your requirements. Fill out the contact form on the right and we will get in touch with you to help. Your first round of CMS consultation will not cost you anything!