Joomla! is a very advanced Content Management System (CMS). It is used by a number of companies as the CMS solution for their websites. Few companies which use Joomla as their CMS are MTV, Harvard University, and IHOP. Getting started with Joomla! is equally easy and straight-forward. Joomla’s installer is meant to work on common shared hosting packages.
Joomla! is currently used for many online systems ranging from inventory control systems to reservation systems, to complex business directories. This is in addition to normal websites.
Joomla! comes with an easy-to-use administration interface, with intuitive drop-down menus and many other features. Joomla! has a very active developer’s community and it is very easy to find information and tutorials along with a lot of plug-ins and add-ons. There are a number of themes available in Joomla! but doesn’t compare to what’s available for WordPress.
- Support for third party authentication systems like OpenID, Google, and LDAP etc
- Plenty of extensions and add-ons available
- Very active community and lot of documentation available
- The back-end system is not as user-friendly as the other available CMS
- A lot of themes are not available for Joomla! as compared to other CMS
- Can be overkill for simple sites